By: Dan Stewart
February 13, 2023
A roadmap helps you think long and short term one layer at a time.
What is a roadmap?
A roadmap is a communication tool. It is the first step in my process of product ownership. I create the roadmap in Smartsheets. At the end of creating the roadmap, I have a clear way to communicate the vision, direction, and future state of the product.
Elements of a Roadmap
Be proactive and start with the goals. Let me use an example from my life. My goal is to become a better product owner. To accomplish this I need a measurable objective to reach. This is the habit of beginning with the end in mind.
I know I am a better product owner when:
- I am able to clearly explain my product vision.
- I am able to empathize with my product's users.
- I am able to prioritize the backlog of work to do so that the team is not waiting for answers on what should be done next.
- I have business acumen knowing how my product benefits the organization.
- I have financial acumen knowing how my product contributes to the revenue of the organization.
- I have organizational knowledge knowing my stakeholders, processes, and procedures.
Now we put first things first. Reflect on why this is a goal. What is the purpose of attempting to reach this goal? I want to be a better product owner so that I am successful at my job. I know that I am successful at my job when my manager is happy with the work I do, and gives me positive reviews. Successful product owners help team morale because they know that they are working on things that bring business value. I am finding fulfillment in my work because I am proud of the level I have achieved.
By understanding the goal and the purpose, I was able to write my personal mission statement.
Helping education technology teams work on the right thing at the right time to deliver student success.
A part of putting first things first is understanding the current state. How close am I to becoming a better product owner? What gaps do I have? These steps will happen in my next phase of gathering requirements.
- The Ultimate Guide to Product Roadmaps
- Business Acumen Definition : Who Needs it and Why
- Free Guide: Living a Purposeful Life
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People